Monday, July 09, 2007

Are you being overcharged?

Two recent events have caught my attention.

Recently while making a call using my BPL Mobile phone, I noticed that I had been charged for 2 calls even when the call had lasted for just 59 seconds.

I immediately called up the Mobile Assist Center of BPL Mobile. I asked them how I had been charged for 2 minutes when the call had lasted 59 seconds including the time taken to connect to the called party? Their reply surprised me, according to the lady on the other end of the line, their system calculates a minute as 58 seconds, a call exceeding 58 seconds is treated as having consumed 2 minutes.

This is indeed shocking and worth investigating. Are all mobile operators using the same method of calculation? If so, poor consumers are being taken for a ride.

I am sure this is the handiwork of some smart alec who wants to boost bottom lines of his company using unscrupulous methods.

Second is about an article that I read about the rich and famous stealing from hotels. Given the incident above, these people who indulge in such petty theft use the excuse of being overcharged by their hosts to justify their acts.

The question I want to ask is whether institutionalized robbery is better than petty theft?

No comments:

Towards a just society....

Pure human greed is ruining our lives. We have become exploitative of our fellow human beings. Those who are involved in this game, cre...