Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Who are we...

Of late some people have been claiming that they are more local than others.

Recent remark of Jaya Bachchan in a music release function for a hindi film has sparked controversy. Local parties angling for the Marathi vote bank have slammed the artist for saying that she is from UP and would prefer to speak in Hindi.

I ask all, what is wrong with that. Given the chance would you not like to speak in your mother tongue? I see people do that all the time. If a few kearlites come together they will slip into speaking in Malayalam irrespective of the fact that that there are other people who do not understand a word that is being spoken!

If Jaya Bachchan has been staying in Mumbai for the last 30 years, does that make her into a Maratha? She will remain a Bong because she was born as one. This is an unforunate fact, none of us can escape from.

Coming back to my question then who are we?

We are what we are born as, but we should always put the nation first. We are first an Indian then everything else.

I remember the oath that we used to repeat every morning during our school days (loathed to do it, but now it makes so much sense!), which I reproduce below;


India is my country and
all Indians are my brothers and sisters.
I love my country and
I am proud of its rich and varied heritage.
I shall always strive to be worthy of it.
I shall give respect to my parents, teachers and
elders and treat everyone with courtesy.
To my country and my people, I pledge my devotion.
In their well being and prosperity alone, lies my happiness.
Jai Hind!

I hope good sense will prevail and politicians who are using the old british policy of divide and rule will be shown the door by every right thinking Indian.

No comments:

Towards a just society....

Pure human greed is ruining our lives. We have become exploitative of our fellow human beings. Those who are involved in this game, cre...