Saturday, May 10, 2008

How to check whether your flat in on forest land

There is huge confusion about the Forest Land Issue in Mumbai, where flat owners have been left with little or no information about the legality of their flats.

The state has failed to provide information about the plot numbers to the public at large. However, the state has provided this information to the Registrar's office. Thus when you go to register your flat, the registrar will check your flat details and may refuse to register the flat if it is on an affected plot.

Prospective flat buyers can call the following numbers 022-22634567, 022-26891161, 022-22630742 or visit their nearest collectors office (of the place where they intend to buy the flat) to find out whether they are buying flats that are located on forest land or not.

Buyers are cautioned that there exists two lists of plots, one official and other being circulated by conniving real estate agents and builders to hoodwink the buyers into buying flats that are actually on forest land. Extreme caution is advised in buying flats in these areas. As a thumb rule if you buying a flat that lies on the east of the Western Express Highway, Ghodbunder Road or West of the LBS Marg, there are chances that the plots may be in forest land and may best be avoided.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend,

Can you please tell me about those numbers in survey list? What numbers are those? How should I map those to my Area. I live in Bhandup Tembipada area and my new flat is in Bhandup only in Nardas nagar. How should i know now this is forest zone or not?
Please help me out.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nitin

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend,
Can you please tell me about those numbers in survey list? What numbers are those? How should I map those to my Area. I live in Bhandup Tembipada area and my new flat is in Bhandup only in Nardas nagar. How should i know now this is forest zone or not?
Please help me out.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nitin

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am looking to buy a flat at Raheja Heights in Dindoshi, Malad (east). Can you tell me if this complex is under forest land or not?

Regards,
a worried prospective buyer

Vinod Chand said...

Hi,

Raheja Heights is a very old complex (as per my knowledge more than 20 years old). I don't think that complex falls under forest land. I am sure that you are buying a house on resale.

Towards a just society....

Pure human greed is ruining our lives. We have become exploitative of our fellow human beings. Those who are involved in this game, cre...